Saturday, January 8, 2011

My accident

This is a really strange occurance, but seems to identify the way my days have been going.  Let me present the story effectively.
For Christmas, my daughter Caitlin thought it would be nice to give out turtle, Dale, a bigger tank to live in.  So she bought her a 40 gallon tank.  Unfortunately we have no room as yet for the tank, so it has been sitting in the dining room on the floor.  It is also dangerously close to the path we use to walk to the kitchen, which in turn leads to other tooms in the house, specifically the bathroom.  On Friday morning, about 5 a.m., I got up to go to the bathroom, forgot the tank was there, and rammed it with my knee, right on my knee cap.  The pain was unbelievable, and after limping to the bathroom, and back to the livingroom, it just got worse.  I remember thinking I better walk around so it wouldn't stiffen up too much.  I was also feeling very clammy and nauseous by this point, so I got up to walk back to the bathroom.  I remember walking toward the doorway into the dining room, and then nothing until my wife was telling me to wake up and to talk to her.  The pain had been so severe that I had passed out!  My wife said I went in and out of consciousness several times, which, I of course, did not remember.  Not knowing what happened, she had my daughter call the ambulance.  I knew what had happened and I tried to prevent the ambulance from needing to come out, but they did anyway.  After talking to me, looking me over and taking blood pressure and other vitals, they felt I didn't need to be an emergency.  While speaking to them, I noticed my jaw was sore and my shoulder a but sore as well.  After they left, my wife noticed that several objects on our bookcase had been knocked over.  Evidently I had hit it and then the opposite doorway wall when I passed out.  My face was bruised on both sides and I have evidence of having a slight concussion.  Not a good way to start the year.

Well, after sitting around all day yesterday and most of today, I will need to go out and take decorations down.  I always wait until Orthodox Christmas is over until taking them down, but may be sorry due to my lack of mobility and soreness at this point.

No comments:

Post a Comment