Saturday, September 18, 2010

The great race (kind of)

Is was an interesting day.  It started with auditing an Art History class by a very interesting and knowledgeable instructor, Dr. Gerald Honigsblum.  I was delighted to learn that I know as much about art as I do about the french language.  Eh,bien.

The day was interesting, I found the exercise room and did some lifting and a bit of running (before my hill climb).  We then did a team "Amazing race" in which we were placed on a team and had to scavenger hunt for objects in several areas od the Preiure that corresponded to French words.  My team was doing great until I had the word "la serviette" for the dining room.  I went in and found many things, but the only thing I could guess was this thing was a tray.  Of course I was wrong, it was a napkin and our team went down to ignoble defeat.  Realize that others had been given such difficult words as "le table" and "le bol".  Table and Bowl?  And I get la serviette?  Lynch luck.

We had two of the students up from University of Albi.  They are helping our kids learn French as we help them with their English.  As we interacted, we also had wine and some kind of vodka laden Kool-aid.  The French students refrained due to the drive back so as the American students became increasingly snookered, the young French women started to joke between each other about the students.  They eally enjoyed the stay and plan to return tonight for a birthday party we are having for John.

Deb just pointed out that the university I am calling the University of Albi is really the "Centre Universitaire Jean-Francois Champollion".  I told her I am sticking with the University of Albi. 

No comments:

Post a Comment