Sunday, November 7, 2010

At the Pub

Jenn and I went to a pub close to the hotel, The Cobblestone.  We were listening to some great Irish music and enjoying the company of several new friends.  We met a gentleman named Noel, who had a policy that no person coming to Ireland should have to get in his own pocket to pay for a drink.  he also gave his chair up to Jenn, a precious commodity in the crowded pub.Around 9 o'clock he bought a drink for Jenn and I and said he was buying a "last one for myself".  We discussed politics and the current state of both Ireland's and U.S. economy.  He asked what the hell Iraq was about and what were we doing in Afghanistan.  All in all it was a very stimulating discussion. 
Meanwhile, the bartender, Paul and I became good friends as I was close to the bar opening area, and passed out many a drink to patrons behind me.   Around midnight, Noel decided that he really had to go.  This was a number of drinks later.  I was kind of happy because I really didn't want to go another Guinness.  After he left a young man came to the bar and ordered around 10 drinks.  I helped him get them to his table.  After I finished the young man thanked me and we talked briefly about where I was from.  After he paid I thanked Paul and said I was getting out of there.  He said I couldn't because the table (those sitting with the young man) had bought me yet another.  When I lifted the glass toward them, they cheered.  They also had he same policy as Noel. 
Meanwhile, Jenn had been talking to some of the other patrons.  A young man found out she was from the U.S. and asked me for her hand in marriage.  This was Jenn's second proposal since being here!

No comments:

Post a Comment