Saturday, November 20, 2010

A Day in Toulouse

Since we had no other organized activities planned, several of us took a trip back to Toulouse to look at Saint Sernin's Basilica.  I was surprised that more didn't go since earlier in the week many students indicated they were planning to attend.  Deb and I even went to the crypt in the church to look at relics of the saints and other objects.  It was very interesting.  The altar is amazing in the Basilica, and roped off from people.

We also had a nice lunch at a cafe in Toulouse.  I had a fish with steamed vegetables meal that was surprisingly good, Deb and Keirsten had duck and John had fish and chips.  It was a pleasant meal, very relaxing.  I continue to look for the elusive pair of jeans.  We even returned to the store where I originally saw them and still haven't been able to find my size.  I think I have been in every C-A store possible!

The mall in Toulouse was decorated for Christmas.  Deb and I noticed something very interesting, none of the trees in the mall were green.  The trees were usually purple or pink, with an occasional white tree.  While attractive, it just seemed strange to us.  Someone said that this is how the French celebrate, and I think that's fine, but why pink and purple?  Trees in the woods here are as green as they are back home, and I've yet to come across a pink or purple one while walking around here.  And although the towns around here all have lights out, they are not turned on just yet.  John thinks it may happen on December 1. 

Christmas at the Mall in Toulouse


Melanie and Gabe were working on their "wine" tree today, but I've yet to look at it with them.  Maybe later.  We may also have another Mel Brook's movie, "Blazing Saddles"!  John's mom sent it to him in a "CARE" package.  Tomorrow we will just lay back and take it easy.

1 comment:

  1. Maybe they go with pink and purple to coincide with the Advent colors?

    ReplyDelete