Sunday, November 7, 2010

The Dublin Zoo

This will be our last full day in Dublin.  Since Jenn loves zoos and since we have heard a great deal about the Dublin zoo's efforts to help endangered speicies, we spent the day walking around the zoo.  It was really an exciting zoo that allowed you to be closer than any zoo I have ever been to in my life.  It was really fun and I was able to get some neat video.  We were able to watch rhinos fighting (really quite intersting) and were able to see more animals than I ever have at a zoo. 

We also had a horse auction in front of the hotel.  Each first Sunday, there is a horse auction on the Smithfield Plaza.  Deb and I went out and looked at the horses brought by the numerous farmers.  The whole plaza smelled like a barn that hadn't been cleaned for a while.  Horse manure was everywhere.  The other thing that stood out to me was how cruel the young teenage boys were to their animals.  It was very difficult to watch as they used crops to strike their beast.  One pony was being struck from several different angles, so I don't know how it wouldn't be confused about the commands of its owner.  The parents did not react so I kept my concerns to myself, and for anyone that knows me will tell you, it was very difficult.  But I kept my concerns to myself and all went well for the most part.  Jenn was actually angry that I did not intervene.


The horses seemed to be so varied in their appearance and value.  Some were obviously stock horses for farm work, other were show horse level.  There were Shetland ponies and some very powerful looking plowhorses. 

We also went to the Dublin Zoo.  It was really great there.  The animals were all very easy to spot and were in a sort of "natural habitat" setting.  The lions were laying on there back like huge house cats waiting to be scratched.  The rhinos were even more interesting, as they were 'fighting' each other by ramming into each others heads, struggling a bit with each other, letting go, and then striking each other again.  It looked like a Rugby scrum. 

                                     Fighting Rhinos (wouldn't that be a great name for a sports team!)
This evening I met Noel at the Walsh Pub.  It was quite an interesting pub.  The were given an award for the best "snug"in Ireland.  I was not quite sure what a "snug" was, but founf out after asking Collin, our bartender.  It seems that for some years women were not allowed in pubs.  So some pubs made a special room, called a snug, that was used by women that wanted a drink, but were legally kept out of the pub proper.  The Walsh "snug" was really quite nice and collin mentioned that it is still used by many women, despite the change in policy.  When asked to go back to check it though, I was a little nervous.  As they say in Ireland (over and over again), "no problem".

Noel had said he would come to the Richmond and meet us there.  Unfortunately he didn't make it, and as disappointing, Eddie wasn't there.  Jenn and I arrived around 8:30 and didn't see Noel or Eddie.  We drank a pint and a bit of Bailey's and decided to leave.  I went to ask someone that I had spoken to previously at the pub if he would tell Eddie that we stopped by and he asked if Jenn and I would like to play darts.  I explained we weren't really dart players, but they insisted on a match. I said okay and tried to but them a pint, but they wouldn't hear of it.  I actually refused a drink, and Jenn had another pint bought by the guys.  We played several games and had a great time.  We also were able to arrange a taxi ride for the airport with one of the dart players.  It worked well for us. 


What a great night again.  I have to say that the people here are the friendliest, most helpful and fun people I've met outside the U.S. and I will miss Dublin greatly when we return to France tomorrow.

No comments:

Post a Comment