Tuesday, November 2, 2010

Well, I can't drive in Ireland.

As some of you know, I decided to rent a car in Ireland to travel around the country while here.  On Sunday, I went to pick my cousin Bill and his wife up at the airport.  After the relatively short 55 minute drive, which would have been a lot less with a working GPS (should have been 23), I decided for the sake of people throughout the country of Ireland that I would take the car back. 

It started in the garage.  As I mentioned before, I was given a Monedo by the rental company, much too large a car for me on these roads, and barely able to fit in any parking garage here.  It took me several attempts to go through the gates to get to the various floors as I left.  When I got out I proceded to go the wrong way on a one way street (thank you GPS!).  As the GPS "recalculated", I noticed it was sending me to belfast for some reason.  None of the streets were correct on the little map.  Now when you have no clue where you are and less about where you should go, that is a problem.  I did a u-turn, no small feat in this car, and went the other way.  The GPS again said turn left in 50 meters, and I would have turned into the side of a huge church!  Not an alley beside a church, mind you, a church.

I decided to pull over and see if I could get the GPS to work.  I unplugged it and started again.  This time it did seem to be sending me to Dublin Airport, but as I drove I started to notice that it was sending me in circles.  Not good.  At one point it told me to turn at a street 850 meters ahead, and then 900, the a kilometer.  I discovered it was sending me away from the street it was supposed to be sending me to turn on!  I started to look around the car and outside for a camera and crew, thinking that the Irish must have their own version of Candid Camera.  So I again turned around, and went towards the road.  I got there and guess what, wrong way again.  I turned and three lanes of vehicles were coming my way!  I have to say, although I dreaded having to do a three point turn for my PA license years ago, I was never so happy to have the skill! 
After this had occurred, I noticed the GPS said I had a final destination of Belfast Airport again.  I turned it off, and rebooted and it was back to the Dublin Airport map again.  Now you have to remember all of this is occurring with  me on the opposite side of the car driving a standard.  This does not help the situation.  When I finally arrived at the airport, I immediately went to National Car Rental and handed the car back in.  I told them of my difficulties driving on opposite side of the car and road that I am used to, and also about the GPS plotting to kill me.  They will penalize me a bit, but said I would not have to pay the full amount for the 8 days I planned to use the car.  I figured that people all over Ireland can breath easier now that I am off the road!

I went to the airport and told my cousins that I had turned the car in and that we would be using public transportation.  They were fine by this, after I told them of my difficulty, and we caught a taxi back to the hotel.  That night Bill, Jenn and I hit a pub for a pint or two and all was right with the world again.

Yesterday we went to the National Leprechaun Museum and found some shopping areas on the Laus.  It is a tram like vehicle.  Today we plan to go to get a tour pass for the bus line.  It should be okay.

A picture of me with my art at the National Leprechaun Museum.  I am finally featured in a gallery, next stop the Louvre.

The actual picture which I have named "The Actual Picture"!

1 comment:

  1. I like the "Mark Age 57" in the picture. It really ties it all together. :)

    ReplyDelete