Wednesday, November 24, 2010

Sick day in Ambialet and giving thanks

Thus far, while being here, I have felt remarkably healthy.  That ended this morning when I awoke with a fever, stomach discomfort and a headache.  My body ached and I felt completely worn out.  Deb and I had planned to join the rest of the group going to 2 museums in Albi, but I decided I just wouldn't do to well being out and about.

I am not sure what occurred that caused my illness, and as of 10:43 this evening, I am at times feeling a little better, and then feeling sick.  I slept most of the day.  With our Thanksgiving celebration coming up, I am concerned that I become healthy enough to attend tomorrow's get together.

Here is hoping all of you have a great Thanksgiving tomorrow.  If you are from out of the U.S., it is a day that U.S. citizens celebrate the dinner the Native Americans and Pilgrims enjoyed many years ago.  It is a day of giving thanks for all the wonderful things we have been given.  I have to think this semester is something I am, indeed, thankful for.  I have met some wonderful people, particularly the students and John.  I've had a chance to get to know Lori Woods better, and have really enjoyed being around her.  The staff at the Ambialet site have been really nice to work with as well. Tim, Gerry, Sophie, Marie, and Bernard are all dedicated, wonderful people that have made our time here special.  Our friendly neighbors, Peter and Margaret, have been so nice and helpful.
Of course, what I'm most thankful for has been the opportunity to be with Deb for these past few months, sharing this amazing adventure.  It was like living with another student at Ambialet, since we shared the same room.  But that has been fun as well. 
  Deb and I had the opportunity to travel through much of Europe with our oldest daughter, Jenn and had a wonderful time with my favorite cousin, Billy, and his wife in both Paris and Ireland.  Getting to know Luc and Floren (?) in Fontenay Aux Rose has been a real highlight.  The boys in the Pubs, including Noel, Eddie and the rest were a great joy to meet and interact with, and the trip to Ireland was an actual dream come true for me.  While missed my younest daughter, Caitlin, being able to Skype and IM her was really nice.  I just wished she could have had the time to join us here. 
Yes, its been a great semester with much to be thankful for, and I feel truly blessed.  I have to add that I would have never been comfortable with coming to France if not for my confidence in the abilities of Sue Black and Mary Latterner, back at SFU.  I am truly thankful for the good work they do!

No comments:

Post a Comment