Tuesday, November 16, 2010

Things are starting to get back to normal, almost!

We are all starting to settle into our routine again.  I had classes here yesterday and did my online for SCWK 315 with Sue and my SOC 202 CE class caught up for the most part. 
There have been some problems. First, I have been trying to fix the internet so that it works on the ethernet as well as Wifi.  Usually when it goes down, it is the other way around, so I have been confused.  The person that set the system up is in Paris, so we were only able to talk to him on the phone.  He suggested that we do something that I had already tried, and that was to unplug the router and the main internet systems, and then let them reboot.  Now remember that the students have Wifi, although we can't get that in my room.  I have to use the classroom or common room to use the Wifi.  I opened the locked door to the internet machines and discovered there were about 8 different pieces of equipment and about 100 wires coming out of the them.  I also discovered that all the plugs came out of the back.
The Connection Lines for Communications and Internet

As anyone that knows me will attest, this is like giving a child a handgrenade to play with, which we all know should not be the first choice of toys!  I opened the door using a screw driver, (a not so minimal task for me at that), and proceded to reach behind and unplug all the power wires I could find.  There were plenty, believe me.  I then proceded to plug each back in.  It took about 20 minutes to make sure they were all in the right place. (Sophie later showed me where I could have just hit the breaker in the electric box to shut all the power down, 20 seconds, nit 20 minutes was needed) I then reset all the machines.  I went out into the hall way to see the results.  Deb had been working with her computer in the common room, so I went down stairs to see if the ethernet connections were working, and guess what, no luck.  I didn't panic, I just decided I'd have to work with the Wifi in the common room until I could get something to fix the ethernet.  Lori Woods was the first to ask me what happened to the Wifi, then Deb and then several students.  I explained that I had rebooted the system and that all should be fine now.  Au contraire mi ami! Now there was no internet anywhere!  As panic set in, I figured there had to be a simple explanation, so I got back into the area pictured above and started to look to see where lights weren't on.  No help, all were lit as before the great experiment.  So I started to think of what else could be wrong.  I thought maybe the router was having some problem since the reboot of the entire system.  No such luck, its lights were flashing as usual.  Just when I thought I better sneak out and find somewhere to stay until a repair person would come in, I noticed that the router cable looked a little loose.  Now I hadn't touched any of this, but I took it out and pushed it back in.  The lights continued to flash as before, but then someone from the student's hall stated that they had internet again.  Hurray!  Of course, still no ethernet line was working, but you can't have everything. 
I also found upon our return that there was no heat in Deb and my room.  Its nice to snuggle and all, but this would be a bit much.  So I looked around and found a space heater.  I plugged it in and there cam this godawful noise, a weird smell, and finally heat!  SO until the regular heat can be fixed, I guess this will do.

No comments:

Post a Comment