Wednesday, December 15, 2010

I think I'll continue for a while.

I think that for the time being, it would be worthwhile to continue the blog to indicate the aspect getting used to being home again.  As most of you may know, Pennsylvania has been hit by a cold snap that hasn't allowed the tempature above 20 degrees since I got back.  the wind chill has been about 12 below zero.  All this is important to let you know what my week has been like.

First, I had to get the house decorated on the outside for Christmas.  This is a huge undertaking even when I get to start the day after Thanksgiving.  Starting Dec 12th does not make for much time.  So out I went into the frozen tundra, actually my yard.  As I started to put up the manger scene, it occurred to me that I do not have my "manger".  It had been an old swing set that I had managed to modify to look like a manger.  Well, it was made into a part of my daughter's garden earlier this year, so it was out.  So now I have no manger.  Then I attempted to put the stakes for the characters in the manger scene into the ground.  This is no easy task when the ground is completely frozen!  Using language that really isn't proper for a manger scene set up, I finally was able to get all the characters to stand.  Then I remembered that I really had to locate the characters so they could recieve power to light up. Again, we'll not discuss my personal communications, just take for granted that the wisemen would have left if they could have.  After the manger scene was set up, I became aware of a yearly phenomena.  Even though I buy outside extensions, timers, lights and other materials needed to put my decorations up each year, something always happens and they disappear.  So off to the local hardware for materials, and when that becomes too expensive, off to the local department store.  Half my time is spent putting up decorations and half is traveling to buy things.
Meanwhile, Deb has been hard at work putting the inside of the house in order.  As I bring in box after box of decorations, we both get that combo thing, where you are excited yet a bit uneasy about the work to come.  There are about 12 large totes full of inside decorations, as anyone will tell you we do go all out for Christmas.  But of course, when we bring 12 boxes in, you have to take out 12 boxes full with other things from the normal decorations for the house.
Then there are the cars. All the tires on the Cruiser are flat, and will not hold air.  The Taurus has one and 1/2 flats, Jenn's car needs a tube for her gas tank, so we have one actual car to run.  This is difficult when all three people in the house need to go different places.  As I work to get the Taurus going, I also fill the tires on the Cruiser.  Two hours later the tires are all flat again.  The Cruiser is out for driving right now!
I haven't been able to get to campus yet, and am in no hurry to do so.  One of the things about being in France is that I missed seing may of my friends at school.  What I didn't miss was the politics that aso exist there, so I'm in no hurry to get up there.  Maybe Friday.
Well, out into the cold again.  I'll try to get a picture of the house once I am totally finished to place on  here.

No comments:

Post a Comment