Friday, December 10, 2010

Ready for the States

The trip has been exciting and I've really learned quite a bit about Europe, France and myself.  I feel like I have learned how to travel effectively (except, of course driving in Ireland), and I've learned how to survive in a small, tightly knit community of people.  I've learned, for myself, while France is a good place to visit I wouldn't want to live here permanently.  I will finish this blog once I am back in the states tomorrow.

I wanted to apologize, I have been so busy since getting home I haven't had a chance do this blog.  But I will finish my thoughts now.

First, I learned that I can actually live without constant activity and entertainment.  I have been able to go days without any television or radio.  Now, this was not without effort. When I first arrived in France I spent hours trying to figure out how to receive TV shows online.  Networks in the US do not allow their shows to be shown in Europe and the pay sites are very expensive.  But I did eventually break the addiction.

I learned that driving in other countries offer different challenges.  In France, there are, of course, the tunnels which are only large enough for 2 small cars at a time.  Almost impossible to get through at times and a reason why there are so many cars in France with a mirror hanging from the passenger's side of the vehicle.  In Ireland, they drive in a side of the road that I can not master.  In Italy, directions are anyone's guess.  In Spain, there is no such thing as politely being allowed to enter heavy traffic.  I also have become aware of the danger of parking in a parking garage in both France and Spain.  Hit and run, I guess, is accepted.

I have learned that it is good to find the names of foods in the country you are in, since the menus are difficult to understand.  At first, Deb and I ate pizza all the time when we went out because we could read "pizza" and have a general idea of what was served.  But there were problems even with this method.  In Venice, for example, I ordered calzone, but it ended up having egg in it.  Terrible.  And the egg also attacked a pizza in Albi, where there actually had a sunny side up egg in the center of my pizza!  Yech!  We soon learned that canard was duck, but didn't know the term for bean soup, so have duck and bean soup for our anniversary.  It wasn't bad, but it wouldn't have been my first choice.  I learned that French bread can tear your mouth up at times, and to eat carefully.

I learned that no matter how much you think you have been careful, you still end up with a lot of extra stuff to brng back.  I actually bought an extra suitcase, and still had too much to bring back.  Deb did well in this area, myself not so much.

The students we were with taught us very much as well.  They were kind and respectful, but also very honest and open when they had a concern.  They found ways to get along even when they disagreed.  They were terrific to be with during the stay there and Deb and I found we were very lucky.

I learned to be more assertive for my own class needs.  The courses I taught seemed to take a back seat to the more established courses in France.  If I would go there again, I would fight harder for proper course time. 

There were numerous other things I learned.  But that will be for future reflections. 

I will continue the blog while I become reacclimated to the states. Coming back to severe winter weather and working to put decorations outside and inside has been draining, but necessary.

No comments:

Post a Comment