Sunday, December 5, 2010

Some Good, But Overall a Bad Day in France

Not a great day today.  First, the weather was cold and windy.  The power went out at the Le Prieure for much of the day, and the heat has been a problem most of the week.  Needing to get away, we decided to go to Albi.  Because so many people went, we took both cars.  The trip in was uneventful, except we left later due to trying to help with the electricity problem. 
We parked in the garage down town.  As we went up stairs to the ground level, we were aware that the Christmas lights in the city were still not lit.  This disappointed me, but we did get some shopping done.  After stopping for a drink, we all headed back to the cars.  Lo and behold, the Christmas Lights did come on.  Anyone that knows me also knows I love Christmas decorations.  I was very excited! 
When we prepared to leave, I had to pay for the parking ticket.  As I approached the car, the students pointed out that someone had scraped the car on the whole back panel, from the front door to the end of the car.  How someone can do that without catching themselves and stooping the car is beyond me.  This really sent my good spirit the other way.  This is the second time that a car that I parked safely in a garage was hit by another car, and no one left a message claiming responsibility.  This would have been hit and run in the U.S., but the people here just don't seem to care about such things.  Many cars are dented, scraped or whatever.  It just isn't good.
When we got back to Ambialet, we were excited to see we had power again.  The heat was off, but we managed with portable heaters.
The worst part of the day was when,despite WVU beating Rutgers, UConn won and got the Big East BCS Bowl spot.  I waited up until 5 a.m. Sunday, French time, to look at the game tracker of UConn and USF.  Tough loss for USF and WVU in this one.

No comments:

Post a Comment