Wednesday, December 8, 2010

One Last Golf Trip to Golf d'Albi

While I know from my daughters and colleagues that there was 12" of snow in PA, the weather in Albi yesterday was nice.  I decided that I would go one more time to golf in France at Golf d'Albi.  In spite of having snowed last week, the course was in very good shape.  The greens were perfect.  It was a great day to golf.
I played in the morning, didn't get a tee time, so when I arrived I found I was behind a group of 14 or so players.  I lined yo behind them and soon they were talking to me.  I didn't quite understand them, until finally I figured they were asking if I was alone.  I told them yes, so they told me to go ahead.  So with a group of people watching, I hit an adequate, although not tremendous, drive.  As I was walking towards my ball, a person speaking the king's English asked if I wanted to join their group.  I declined, but did thank them for the offer. I proceded to have a fairly bad hole, making doubl bogey.  That's the bad news, the good news was that I played the next 8 holes as well as any group of holes I've ever played, I parred the 2nd hole, and biried the 3rd.  I hit my tee shot on number 4, a par 5, 475 meter (around 523 yds) to the 210 meter mark, which is a bomb for me.  The real neat thing was that it was on the fairway!  In fact most of my shots were on the fairway all day.  I wish I knew why. 
As I finished the front nine, I had a 39 on a par 36 layout.  That is exceptional for me.  As I came to number 10, women was reaching down and picking her tee off the tee box.  She had just hit her drive.  I knew that she was jumping on the backside, and now I was a bit miffed.  When she saw me, she signalled me to play through.  Now I wasn't miffed, but was feeling guilty for being angry she jumped on.  Ahead of her was a pair of players, who also had jumped on.  So I asked her if she wanted to play together.  She indicated she would.  Now I had been playing really well, so I was feeling okay about playing with a stranger.  My next shot went in the pond by the green.  I dropped on the side where the shot went in, now hitting 4, and hit it in the water.  She looked at me as if to say "boy its going to be a long nine holes", smiled.  I hit number six onto the green, within a few inches of the hole and took a 7.  I felt really bad, but figured I'd had a good fromt nine, it had to end some time.  But guess what, I parred the next 2 holes!  Bogey on #13, which was a tough hole and then birdied #14.  I can count on one hand the number of times I had 2 birdies in one round.  I thought that I had a rare chance to go under 80, but sort of stumbled in, but ended with a respectable 44 on the back, for a total of 83.  Now my "new" playing partner was not do fortunate.  She had played 10 and 11 well, but on #12 the air went out of her tire.  She doubled 13, and while I birdied 14, she took so many strokes that she just picked her ball up and quit the hole.  Even though she was doing poorly, she appreciated my play and we actually communicated well. 
Since I knew I had lots to do, but would be tempted by the near 70 degree weather, I put my clubs away and will now wait for my next chance to golf in the states.

No comments:

Post a Comment